Monday, May 24, 2010

Whitewash - a video and soundscape on the waterwall at the NGV International...

Yes, well it truly is a big week and I have not had a moment to spare getting ready for it.  Head down, bum up as they say.

I am really excited about Whitewash.  It's great the the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) are supporting Reconciliation week by promoting political contemporary Aboriginal artwork that references evil government legislation like the White Australia policy.  So props to the NGV.  Also, when I was invited to do something, I was talking to a friend of mine, Ash Keating about what to do and he suggested projecting onto the water wall.  So props to Ash for that.  When I asked the gallery if it would be possible, I was sure they would say no.  But I was wrong.  I have a feeling this is the first projection ever onto the water wall.  It will be rear projected (from inside the building) onto rear projection screen material (mounted on the inside of the water wall - the dry side), at night-time, with speakers mounted outside for the soundscape.  Here are some photos I took of Ben who features in the video projection:
















And here's the spiel:


Whitewash is a new projection & soundscape work by Bindi Cole that will be projected on the water wall at the NGV International at nighttime during Reconciliation week 2010. Whitewash explores Aboriginal stereoypes and their impact, the effect of government legislation such as the White Australia policy and the impact of colonisation on Aboriginal communities. Whitewash features Aboriginal performer, Ben Graetz and children from both the Geelong High Scool and Kunrunjang College.  The projection will run every night for a week from 6pm to 1am starting Thursday 27th May 2010.  Stay turned for details on a Friday night celebration with the NGV!!

So that's about it.  I hope that you have a chance to come and take a look and if possible join me for the celebration.  I will be able to confirm the details tomorrow.

bindi x

No comments: