Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Contemporary Aussie Women...

Happy New Year everyone.  As always, I'm a lil bit slow (a late bloomer) but there you go.

Thought I'd start the year with some breaking news and some older artwork.  My intention is to try to get all my old work onto this blog.  Fingers crossed it won't be as long between posts.

So the news is the list of artists in the new Queensland Gallery of Modern Art exhibition showcasing Contemporary Australian Women artists has been announced.  Very happy to be a part of this show alongside some full on amazing artists.  Here's a link:

Contemporary Australian: Women

Here's a spiel I just stole from the website which makes me sound pretty pretty pretty flash.

Contemporary Australia: Women’ is the second in the Gallery’s triennial series featuring the best in current art from this country, and is the most extensive regular presentation of contemporary Australian art. This major group exhibition of over 70 works by 33 women artists and collectives recognises the outstanding contributions of women to contemporary Australian cultural life: it marks current achievements and will be a landmark into the future.

So, I've known that I'm in it for ages and have been making a new installation for the show.  It's almost finished and I'm excited for you to see it.  However, I'm going to wait till I put it out there and in the meantime, I'm posting some older work.

This series was commissioned as part of a show called A Time Like This.  It was a group show held at the Margaret Lawrence Gallery at the Victorian College of the Arts.  The show celebrated 100 years of women's suffrage.

I worked with artist Lorraine Connelly-Northey and writer, Jirra Lulla Harvey as well as featuring very beautiful Koori women.  We researched how women's voting rights had affected Aboriginal women and then branched out into the other big women's movements of the last century.  This work was created in 2008.

The Original Women's Land Army

How To Vote Part 1

How To Vote Part 2


No comments: