Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Taboo @ Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney..

Can you believe it's almost Christmas? My year has been one of trial and triumph. It's been tough but ultimately I'm better for it. Today though, I'm exhausted. I have decided to get fit, so I've been up early exercising (or trying to) and due to my level of fitness (none), it tires me out. I'm sure sooner or later, I will actually be able to cope with exercising and daily activity. Anyway, I digress.

The last few months, I've been working on new artwork for a show opening next week called TABOO. It's been curated by Brook Andrew and is showing at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) all through summer - 19th December 2012 to 24th February 2013.

I've made a new video and installation work titled EH5452 which I'm really excited about. Here's the artist statement:

EH5452 is a cathartic experience for Bindi Cole. Not many people know that she has spent years in prison doing time. This experience was a life changing one. However, Bindi still carries shame around it. Feeling like she doesn't want to share the experience for fear of what people will think, EH5452 is an attempt to alleviate the shame of the experience by bringing it to the light, staring it in the face and sharing it with the world, regardless of the consequences. EH5452 aims to turn something dark, hidden and shameful into something light, revelatory and beautiful. It's time to be who she really is, inside and out. 

Here's a still from the video:

I'm really chuffed to be a part of this exhibition. I've always loved the MCA and make time to visit it whenever I'm in Sydney. The show opens next week and is free for everyone.  I hope you can make it.

I'm also doing an artist talk on Thursday 20th December at 2pm along with Judy Watson, Eric Bridgeman and others. Please come and say hello.

That's it for now and remember Christmas is all about Jesus.

2 comments:

Mike Moore said...

Hi Bindi,
My name is Mike Moore and I went to see your installation last weekend in Sydney. I just wanted to let you know how much of a profound effect your installation had on me. It moved me to tears. I stood in that little room watching and listening to you read from your diary entries with such beautifully restrained emotion, and wept openly.
Thankyou for sharing your story and art with the world,
Peace and love
Mike.
camomilehero@gmail.com

Brad Robsan said...

so beautifullArtist australia art